View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 2:49 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorant84 View Post
My vote is for SOM's design. I despise the tower by Richard Rogers and find the work by Pelli hardly "iconic". Plus, the design by Pelli from what I've heard is a mediocre 1,100 ft. The design by Richard Rogers... What is that!? It reminds me of Sutro Tower with a glass tower trapped inside of it. The design by SOM is daring but NOT tall enough for my tastes. What about the towers proposed by Renzo Piano?? I hope SOM increases the height of its tower to 1,500 ft and the floor count to 100 + and give LA something to cry about. I'm dreaming... Ugh. Does anyone agree with me? Hopefully, those infamous SF nimbys don't come out of ground and start protesting.
I agree with your opinions on the proposals. Right now, I wouldnt really bring LA into any of this, as this is our moment to shine. The towers proposed by Renzo Piano are separate from this proposal and will probably be shown off in the not too distant future.

Personally, I dont think we should get used to these heights and floor counts, I think its almost certain they will change. We could all use a lesson from Chicago's Chicago Spire. When first proposed, it was only 1600' to the roof. Now under construction, the design has changed significantly and the roof now reaches 2000'. I dont think we'll see a height increase of 400', but its bound to change, hopefully to somewhere around 1500' or more. As for the NIMBYs, I think the most damage they can do is postpone it slightly, but they cant stop it.