View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 9:35 PM

The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

Ridesharing is overtaking urban mass transit and we should rejoice, not mourn for the past
April 19, 2018 by Randal O’Toole, Opinion contributor/USA Today
Quote:
Mass transit was developed for cities that no longer exist. A used car is far more useful to a poor person's job prospects than a free transit pass.
Interestingly, I've brought this up (at least) a couple of times with respect to the USC research paper of lower socioeconomic neighborhoods in San Diego including the importance of first- and last-mile access.

Quote:
Thanks to new services such as Uber and Lyft, the nation’s transit industry is fading away, leading some people to declare an “emergency.” In fact, we should rejoice ... Ridership declines have prompted transit consultant Jarrett Walker to argue that “city governments have an urgent imperative to do what’s necessary to make it attractive for people to use” transit. Walker apparently believes that cities exist for the benefit of transit systems, rather than the other way around.
What about growing congestion, Randal?
Quote:
Nor does transit particularly relieve congestion or, as Jarrett Walker puts it, “use space efficiently.” In fact, transit often makes traffic worse: Lumbering buses, streetcars and light-rail trains usually contribute more to congestion than the few cars they take off the road.
While I haven't (yet) jumped on the O’Toole Train he is able to make more substantive and less ideological arguments here.

But life is rarely limited to just black and white and like Barack Obama I'm an 'all of the above' kind of guy.