View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 4:24 AM
America's Mars Rocket

For 2010 again
Project still planned
Scott McLain told WAFF 48 News, "I told Santa, 'All I want is a construction trailer and a fence.'"

It looks like McLain might get his wish. The developer of Constellation - a planned entertainment, residential, and office development project off Memorial Parkway - said there should be movement Wednesday toward a Generation Y-geared hotel after the development group building Spring Hill Suites got its financing approved.

"When people drive by they say, 'Aw, nothing's going on, the economy must have killed it,'" McClain said. "There is action on every piece of this property."

McLain said inquiries into office space is moving forward, but there are some challenges.

"Office development is based on need," he said. "Our economy is growing here in Huntsville, so we have people who want to do things. But you have to have to have the combination of want plus need plus ability to pay what it costs to build a new concrete building in 2010, which is a lot more than it did in 1989 when we built the last downtown building."

McLain said talks of food service are moving smoothly.

"Everybody wants the restaurants," he said. "Well, I'm working on those. I've got one that's said, 'Yes.' I've got another coming on [Jan.] 12."

As far as recruiting restaurants goes, McLain said he'd like to see something different: new to Huntsville, new to Alabama. But he's remaining tightlipped now.

While he won't reveal any names, the developer said he's in conversations with six different green grocers.

McLain said 2009 has been the hardest year for developers, but Huntsville's got major drawing points and a better economy than most that will help him recruit. So far he doesn't have a projected timeline for completion.

"I don't control that; my timeline is as soon as possible, but retailers are still confused," he said.

And he said it's the retailers that make those decisions.

The Constellation developer said he's got a lot elves - locally, regionally, and nationally - helping him recruit those retailers.

"I'm just hoping I can fill their stockings with commission as soon as possible," he said.
WAFF TV