View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 12:36 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
I had no Idea they were that far in the construction progress. Is it still supposed to be finished 18 months after the old one was demolished?

Does the City Creek flow into the Jordan River? It seems like a waste of a creek to bury it underground.
On the UTA website they have construction updates for all of their projects. They continually update the projects weekly and each week they keep saying that the N. Temple Viaduct is ahead of schedule. Originally the date (with the 18 months) was supposed to be sometime in August 2011, but if things keep progressing like they have I think we could see it open in June or July.

Before this current project on the creek it was already buried underground in a concrete tube. Salt Lake City has developed over the area that would have been graced by the flow of the surfaced creek; So instead of UDOT and UTA committing themselves to restore the creek to the surface all the way to the Jordan River (you guessed right), it's just easier for them to make the needed changes to the underground creek by keeping it underground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
Also, It looks a little low to me.
The old Viaduct was ridiculously high which meant that it didn't flaten out at ground level until it got close to the end of the block across the street from the Gateway (400 West). The new Viaduct just simply can't be that high because the TRAX trains need to be able to be at ground level by the time they get to 400 West; they also need to be able to curve from heading East to heading South so that they can merge into the existing TRAX Lines. Having the Viaduct closer to the ground also makes it easier for pedestrians to bike over and walk over.

Also, I waited to take the last 3 pictures just so that I could get the train in the shot. The train clears the Viaduct with lots of room to spare.

Image by KSL

Image by KSL

The TRAX trains will be on the right side (your right when facing this picture) of the Viaduct instead of the center.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Nov 12, 2010 at 1:02 AM.