Thread: London Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
It was supposed to happen this year, but pushed back to 2013 due to budget cuts.

Same goes with Commissioners between Wonderland and Warncliffe. I think that begins in 2015.

There are no major widening projects taking place this year.
That's unfortunate - Commissioners, Southdale, Hyde Park, and Oxford (west of Hyde Park) all are in desperate need of widening. I wonder how much the current transportation situation is costing London's economy, in terms of wasted gasoline, and delays in delivering goods. That's a number we almost never hear about when we hear about London transportation improvement project proposals.

I really wish that London forced developers to finance widening projects at the time developments take place, which is what other Canadian jurisdictions such as Halton Region do. The only case I'm aware of where this ever happened was when Wal-Mart and/or SmartCentres was asked to finance the widening of Fanshawe Park Road between Hyde Park and Wonderland. They, along the residential developers in the Hyde Park area, should have been asked to finance the widening of Hyde Park Road, and even Gainsborough Road. Of course, now it's too late, but it's something London needs to look at for the future. I know it's something Vic Cote argued in favour of when he was with the City of London.