View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Isn't it a little far from the proposed line? It seems a little odd that the city would go so far out of their way to utilize this land, which I'm assuming would come at a cost as they would have to electrify the ROW and build a shed, when I'm sure it could be recycled by private interests. I don't find it clear why they would want to preserve the rail orientation of the land. However, I could be missing something.
While it does seem somewhat possible to me, its about 1.6km from where the LRT and CP/CN tracks diverge (right at the north edge of the Ogden community/north edge of the CP Ogden yard). Due to the distance any track to it would need to be double to accommodate trains going either way at the same time, plus probably a couple hundred million for the garage itself. and it would use only a fraction of the entire site, you could build a dozen plus buildings the same size as the entire Anderson garage end to end and still not even cover the entire Sarcee yard.

Heres a quick map:

(Note: yes, the yard does go a bit further east actually. Anderson garage, the full thing including bus area, is the same size roughly as the square building above the red line)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here