View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 3:46 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
I think it's possible if you consider the much smaller city of Victoria is supporting a 4 Billion dollar golf&spa resort complete with restaurants and vineyards (< click to see how we roll upscale )- so far >70% of the properties/memberships have been purchased locally.

However, the Victoria project (the largest non-industrial construction project in western Canada btw) has more of a housing component than this so-called private health/wellness club with movie theaters, curling rinks (nothin' says upscale better than curlin'), cement swimming holes and hockey rinks. The spin the spin! Oh it's Dubai scale

The question is, do wealthy Calgarians want to leave Calgary for R&R? I would think for the most part yes especially during the 6 months of winter. As far a s conventions go, most want to be central. I'm not sure this developer knows what he's doing, of course he did the research and think it will fly.
Great point, but keep in mind that Victoria draws many of its purchasers from the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Its the reason why so many Victoria projects spend mega bucks advertising in cities such as Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Portland and Seattle. Victoria's population could not support the majority of its projects.