View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I posted the above article because San Francisco, where I live, has the same issues caused by the same factors. There has been an increase in population of the city over the last couple of decades of maybe 15% but the traffic is many times more than 15% more horrible. I firmly believe it is due to the factors cited by a reponse to this article:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bikes-p...ple-1495033701

These so-called "improvements" also severely frustrate drivers, many of whom are, I will point out, needed to get the aged and disabled and other categories of people who can't manage the disabled-unfriendly NY subway entrances and can't ride bikes as a primary mode of transportation around the city. At 72, I am not going to be riding a bike and my ability to climb on and off transit with packages and bags of groceries (or into and out of subway station where the escalators--most SF stations at least have those which isn't true in NY--are broken) is diminishing.

Frustrated drivers break more laws more frequently. I've watched it happen and felt it myself. The street I live on, which has what was designed as 3 lanes of one-way traffic, is commonly an obstacle course of double parked delivery trucks, cyclists (sometimes going the wrong way or crossing on cross streets against a red light) and befuddled tourists or not-very-English-speaking immigrant drivers trying to figure out where they are. Anyone driving a motorized vehicle--me, Uber, transit bus drivers--has to dodge them all and sometimes literally "cuts corners".
Congestion pricing.