View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 5:59 PM
BANNED

A couple of comments:

From Wilshire in SM to LAX is more like 8 miles. A subway connection to LAX would be great but very expensive. In any event, along the Sepulveda corridor would be the best place since this would hit much more commercial development than a route along Lincoln would. This could be done regardless of whether the Purple is even extended beyond Westwood/VA.

Taking Expo (Aqua) to the Crenshaw Line and then (perhaps) a further connection to LAX would be inefficient (if and when these lines actually get built). Much better to take a bus along Lincoln or Sepulveda.

More importantly, SM has shown no interest in the kind of high density that would support spending the money needed for subways. I am hopeful that they will do so now, but I haven’t seen much action on the ground that points toward anything but resistance to development.

Cyclist: Not everyone is young, fit and healthy. In any event, in SM the issue isn’t development for ½ mile; I would settle for ½ block. Again, compare the Rodeo, CC and Westwood stops of the Purple with the 4th, 16th or 26th stops in SM. The SM development is currently low to moderate and not zoned for much more.

Maybe a trolley from the Purple (4th St.) along 4th or Ocean, past the Promenade, SM Place, Civic Center, Main St. and onto Abbot Kinney would be good for tourism and local shoppers. Light-rail for 20-25 miles to Torrance is a bad idea.