View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 2:06 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster McCracken from the article
The tracks, McCracken said, might take two lanes from the bridge over Lady Bird Lake, he said, although alternatively it could use the bridge space now taken up by sidewalks. In that case, a sidewalk alternative bridge, such as was added to the South First Street bridge, would continue pedestrian and bicycle access across the lake on Congress.
They're talking about putting the light rail across the Ann Richards/Congress Avenue Bridge. That's not a problem, though I won't be fond of overhead lines for skyline photos! However, the bigger problem is the quote above by McCracken, which talked of eliminating the existing sidewalks on the bridge to gain more right of way for the trains. Bad, bad idea. For one the city receives federal funding for the bridge since it's an historic landmark. If the bridge is altered in any way the city would lose that federal funding. Besides that, the bridge is hugely popular for pedestrians and bat watchers. Also have to wonder if any new construction there would disturb or harm the bats which have become an asset to the city. 100,000 tourists a year and all the bugs they catch. I'm really not liking the sound of them placing a pedestrian attachment to the bridge. Again, it would alter the bridge, thus taking away federal funding. My other gripe is that I love the sidewalk on the bridge as it is. It's such a nice relaxing place to view downtown and the river. Sometimes as I leave downtown on my bike rides I sit there for several minutes on the bridge just taking in the view. I hate the pedestrian bridge attachment on the South First Street Bridge. It's too narrow and feels claustrophobic. Too much concrete, I don't like the lamp posts. I fear they're going to mess up a good thing if they do this.