View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 1:18 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
So last night I was killing some time while waiting to pick up my wife so I took a closer look at the Greyhound/GSL site. While I agree that it would be a really cool site for a rink and maybe even a stadium I just don't think there is enough room. There needs to be surface parking and/or some sort of parking structure. I think that once you build the arena there just won't be room.

Now I understand that less parking means that more people can take the train but there are two big issues with this. The LRT just isn't comprehensive as a means for everyone in all conrners of the city to get to the game and there are a large chunk of people who drive from out of town and such to the games. With parking also comes revenue and limiting parking limits revenue.

Additionally, as far as pedestrian access goes it is a poor site. Overall, it's disconnect from downtown means that there aren't the restaurants, bars, pubs and clubs to support the arena and the fans.

i personally think that it could be built on that site with surface parking included in both the stadium and arena lots, but also additional parking off to the side where the Chrysler dealer currently sits and next to the Pumphouse Theater location.

however, i do agree that it is a poor location for pedestrian access and it is somewhat disconnected from the restaurants and bars downtown. however, it is not far from 17 Avenue via 14 Street.

additionally, with transit being built to the area, the downtown free fare zone could be extended as far as the site. i know personally when i'm in town to see a game, i'd rather save the $10 it takes to park at the Saddledome, and park at 39 Avenue Park and Ride or near McMahon Stadium and take the C-Train. i also know that a good portion of the crowd thinks the same way.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.