View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Besides the fact that the person I was responding to SPECIFICALLY INDICATED HE WAS ALREADY DRIVING MOST OF THE DISTANCE.

Wow, this old chestnut just won't die. Driving is always stupid and transit is always awesome, yeah, we've heard it before.
I had this exact same conversation last night on the way back from the game (on the train to my car downtown, ironically).

Even if you throw in a couple of bucks for gas, a few cents for tire wear, miscellaneous wear and tear, etc. etc. the difference is pretty nominal if there's two of you. If you're on your own, definitely more cost effective. Three of you or more? Driving looks pretty appealing, especially if using the train would require driving to a park n' ride anyway.

I realize that there are all sorts of other variables on both sides of the equation (waiting to get out of Victoria Park, waiting on the platform for a train, etc.), but at the end of the day the average user is going to look at how much time each option will take, and how much it is going to cost.