View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:55 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
And you aren't factoring in time and convenience. Gas for me from the extreme NW of Calgary and back is about $2 on a bad day, and wear and tear? That's what a warranty and a good car is for - ie: I haven't had to put a dime in extra "wear and tear" anything on my cars in years, beyond regular timely maintenance which isn't relevant to driving distance. 3 people in my car is still cheaper than transit, and far more convenient with fewer drunk assholes pushing me around on the train.

Besides the fact that the person I was responding to SPECIFICALLY INDICATED HE WAS ALREADY DRIVING MOST OF THE DISTANCE.

Wow, this old chestnut just won't die. Driving is always stupid and transit is always awesome, yeah, we've heard it before.
i have to agree, the factor of gas and vehicle wear and tear is a non-factor. 9/10 times i'm in town i'm driving a rental, so i don't care about the wear and tear or the fuel prices. carpooling to the games saves on parking costs, but i'd still rather fight the crowds walking and on the sardine can C-Train than in a vehicle.

which parking lot i use depends on where i am staying in the city. if i stay at my mom's in Montgomery, i park near McMahon (the upper deck lot of that little strip mall is wonderful, and still free!! one of the hidden gems in Calgary) if i stay at my ex's in Haysboro, i park at 39 Avenue (sometimes even Chinook Mall). if i stay at a hotel downtown, i usually walk. but thats my situation, and everyone else is unique.

parking does generate revenue, i agree with that. however, i disagree that there needs to be a tonne of surface parking when you can build parking structures and have the same amount of parking on 3 or 4 levels as you can on one.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.