View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Two years to lease 400,000sqft . . . I think he can handle it.
It remains to be seen just which fish Silverstein will get, but I do believe it'll happen...

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...-office-space/
Big fish scour market looking for office space
Tightening market yields no large deals — so far

February 01, 2012
By Adam Pincus

Quote:
Noticeably lacking is a headline-grabbing deal, such as the one that supply-chain firm Li & Fung inked for 490,000 square feet in the Empire State Building in the first week of 2011. In fact, a review of office leasing in industry database CoStar Group shows no relocation deals larger than 100,000 square feet in Manhattan through the first three weeks of January.
The biggest deal discussed last month was not even for a signed lease, but instead for one in advanced negotiations. Law firm Chadbourne & Parke is expected to lease about 300,000 square feet at 1 World Trade Center, the New York Times reported.

“These deals take a long time to finish,” said David Lebenstein, a senior managing director at Cassidy Turley. “I would imagine you would see announcements through the year, and more in the second and third quarters.”

To give some perspective, for all of last year, there were a record 51 deals of 100,000 square feet or more, figures from Cushman & Wakefield show.

And there are more than 500 tenants in the market at any one time, scouring for between 2,000 square feet and over 1 million square feet, a market report from commercial firm Cassidy Turley shows.

Sources said some of the largest tenants looking right now include Time Warner, which is reevaluating its 4 million-square-foot portfolio, including its headquarters at the Time Warner Center; law firm White & Case, located at 1155 Sixth Avenue; and Viacom, which is looking for 1 million square feet.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.