View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think they just need to be open with the whole process – it's the term "urban reserve" that scares people, but really all it is kind of like a TIF grand where the taxes go to First Nations. People often forget that there is actually a ton of affordable/subsidized housing in Tuxedo, north of Grant.

If done correctly, once developed, you would never know that this is even an "urban reserve" – it would just fit in with the areas around it. It would have lots of people living and shopping on the land that aren't First Nations, along with providing some affordable housing for people, FN and non.
The above bolded is so important with Kapyong.

This will be a very high profile project - and one located in a very development sensitive area. Sensitive in the sense that the surrounding residents will be vocal, and have deep pockets to fight this one tooth and nail if they see something they don't like.

Personally - I am a bit worried that this project will have to go perfectly, and if not, it will get bogged down for many years. It is also basically the first kick at the can for how the residents of Winnipeg will view any future Urban reserve that may get proposed. IMO, there needs to be a tremendous amount of pressure of the consortium of FN's to do this project right.

I have worked with a number of FN's on projects within their communities, and the process can be a bit, difficult. This project with so many stakeholders, in such a high profile location - will almost certainly get mired with disagreements, and ultimately is doomed to fail. I do sincerely hope that I am wrong, but at this point I am very pessimistic on the outcome for this.