View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Love those boats. I don't understand for the life of me why they couldn't build 2-3 more of those for the Naniamo-Vancouver runs, instead of buying German.
IIRC, Shipbuilding is heavily subsidized by govts (low interest loans, etc) and the campbell administration would not account for a subsidy in the bc quote (IIRC, the washington group made a quote based on the hull being made in china and the other work being completed in its yards, but stil wound up losing out).

Controversial, i can see a lot of the cons, but lot of pros with the decision.

can't find a source for washington marine's bid (it was rejected in early rounds,) but a few links:

BC Ferries awarded the German shipyard, Flensburger Schiffbau ? Gesellschaft, the $325 million contract to build three Super C-Class ferries. A spokesman for BC Ferries said that the contract is $130 million less that the Canadian price they received early in the bidding process.

"The excellent contract terms achieved with the Super C-class vessels serve as a benchmark
for all future shipbuilding contracts, whether for construction with yards in Canada or abroad."

Wikipedia also has a nice blurb.

Last edited by mezzanine; Jun 27, 2012 at 7:15 AM.