View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not exactly city or metro, but since Chicago is such a large portion of Illinois I think it's valid. The state unemployment rate dipped the most of any state from February to March - decreasing 0.5%. It's now 4.9% unemployment rate which is tied with California and slightly lower than Texas (5%). If you compare against March 2016, then Illinois is tied for 2nd highest decrease of any state, which is 1.2% lower.

Not terribly long ago, Illinois had one of the 3 worst (highest) unemployment rates. Right now it's tied for 36th highest (counting Puerto Rico) with California, North Carolina, and West Virginia. There's also 4 states that are at 4.8% and 1 at 4.7%.

For some reason I can't get to the database portion of the BLS right now, but kind of interesting to me at least. Will be curious about the city and metro area numbers, which I think are set to be released next week.

And now, in city job news:
Yagan moves ShopRunner's Silicon Valley ops to Chicago
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...eam-to-chicago
Yeah, it's amazing. According to BLS, Chicago metro unemployment is now 4.2% as of March 2017. Employment up about 25,000 from February and unemployed down about 33,000 for a very small decrease in the labor pool. And a new record for non farm payrolls in March, which is really important.