View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 9:07 PM

But these developments are not structured like the old projects. It isn't the old projects in drag. Since most are private-public partnerships, there exists an incentive to maintain "the dream" because there is a maximum number of market rate apartments that each develop most maintain at anytime. Since someone like myself will only pay market rate where I feel safe and happy, then the managers must keep things up. Vouchers are terrible idea, because it only shifts the problem to the now not so attractive suburbs and suburban-like sections of the city. Thus, voucher acceptance would be concentrated where the rental market is weak (i.e., Kenner and New Orleans East), and this phenomena would only recreate the cluster of low-income dwellers that we seek to dismantle. Unless that is not our intention as long as it is not NIMBY. I do agree with increasing home ownership, and how that changes a dwellers relationship with the property, but I don't think that it has to be an "either-or" situation.