View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
This community pool will be a nice addition to the City. However, my family has frequented this park for years and it just seems like more and more of the park is cut down for activities. So the feel of a "Natural Park" seems to be slowly being eroded. How many extra acres of trees will be cut down to accommodate this new pool and expanded parking lots? People get excited when 3-4 trees are cut down in front of the new Hyatt Hotel but in this case, I suspect at least 3-5 acres of forested park will be cut down? Why not put this pool over on Millenium beside the Sportsdome and keep the natural park in tact?
I know about 10-15 years ago there was a push to increase the activities in certain underused areas of the park, so as to try and clear out some illicit activities taking place there. Don't think you could ever get a firm confirmation on it, but that was at least a small part of the inspiration/placement for things like the dog park, bike park and TreeGo (obviously the main thing being that they are nice additions to the park).

As for where this pool is going to be located, its partially disrupting the drive-in picnic areas (which were never used) and that's about it. I think this is a great location for it, as it won't be flooded every year and it is in close proximity to Camp Centennial, who uses the pool every day. The natural park very much still exists on the trails west of Firebreak Rd and I don't see that changing anytime soon.