View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:56 PM
The New Republic

^^ That's quite alright with me. I enjoy a good discussion as well. My strong feelings on this issue have morphed into casual interest into how we manage a pro sports landscape that will always be divided. It's almost like the promotion/relegation sports system in Europe except it's Canadian cities divided into 1st division US based leagues and 2nd division Canadian based leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Unfortunately due to the absence of the largest city or cities (and their media and sponsorship oomph), these leagues will likely always be on the edge of floundering. When they don't flounder outright.
I agree with you there. This country has the benefit and curse of US proximity. I can't think of a sizable developed country in this predicament. How do you develop a sport in a country where the largest city or a few of them are siphoned off.

The CHL gets completely ignored because 7 Canadian cities have NHL teams. The CPL will somewhat get ignored because 3 Canadian cities have MLS teams. The CFL gets attention in much of Canada because there are zero Canadian cities in the NFL. MLB gets attention because there's no alternative.

It follows that the NBL (if it has staying power and expands) will exist somewhere between the CFL and CPL.

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 8, 2019 at 11:10 PM.