View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 2:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman224 View Post
I would also put the Perimeter Highway under the Federal government, as it is important as the only high-speed bypass of the city. The whole Perimeter is currently a core route of the NHS.
Yeah, i was thinking the feds should run the Perimeter too. My justification for the Province to run it was to try and be fair to the feds for maintaining 1 N/S and 1 E/W highway in each Province. This to TRY and avoid petty inter-provincial squabbles over percentage of federal money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Very interesting. I like the idea of the province maintaining the inner-ring road - it would provide an incentive to keep it limited access (similar to how MIT has been protecting the Perimeter for some time now). Freeway standards for the ring road is likely impossible at this point - not even in terms of cost (which would be hundreds of millions, considering there are several dozen at grade intersections on the ring-road). The real problem is that much of the land around the intersections is already heavily built up, making on-ramps, or even simple flyovers impossible. Grading would be impossible without expropriating tonnes of private land, especially along routes like Kenaston. Relocation of utilities would also be a nightmare, and the cost of building a pumping station every few hundred metres would be prohibitive, I'd think.
I know making the inner ring road limited access would be cost prohibitive but if you start to do it where you can it will make it a bit better. There are definitely places where it could be done fairly easily and relatively inexpensively (as overpass construction goes). Almost all of Bishop would be easy to do limited access. Kenaston to the underpass should be fairly easy. Lag could be easy up to the Marion area. I don't want to look down on people or areas of lower income but the City/Province could expropriate most of those run down houses (with tarps as roofing material) between Marion and Dugald and come up with one proper interchange there (closing Marion at Lag). Lag and Regent is already being contemplated. North Lag shouldn't be too difficult either.

Believe me, i know it wont happen, I'm just saying.....

......and the Perimeter shouldn't be too bad. Most intersections would only require simple diamond interchanges (recently estimated at between $10 and $20 million each). So if the Province could devote, say $40 mill each other year they could probably do 2 per year. Within 10 to 20 years you could have the perimeter done.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York