View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 5:09 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
"It appears that at least six CPL teams — in Hamilton, Edmonton (currently in the NASL), Ottawa (USL), Winnipeg, Regina and, most noteworthy, Halifax — could be ready to go next year. Respected soccer websites such as Waking the Red are treating that central half-dozen as very real."[Source]

Moncton

Halifax

"Beyond Hamilton and Winnipeg, Halifax, Moncton and Regina - who hosted a friendly between Spanish side Valencia and the New York Cosmos at Mosaic Stadium in July and a CPL summit at the same time - look to be furthest along the line in their pursuit of a CPL team."

"Saskatoon, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Quebec City, the Fraser Valley, Mississauga, London and Kitchener-Waterloo have also been linked with clubs to varying degrees."[Source]

"And there are supporters groups in Calgary, Fraser Valley, B.C., Halifax (Wanderers), Kitchener-Waterloo, Ont. (Grand River Union), London, Ont., Mississauga, Ont. (Sauga City Collective), Quebec City, Regina (Pile O Bones), Saskatoon (Bridge City Firm) and Toronto.

Fans in Edmonton and Ottawa are watching to see whether FC Edmonton (North American Soccer League) and Ottawa Fury FC (United Soccer League) remain with their current leagues.

“It’s not just about ‘my local club in Winnipeg,’ it’s also about the good of the game across the country,” said Beirne.

The CPL is still in its formative stages, with 10 employees. But it has been sanctioned as a member of the Canadian Soccer Association, as have teams in Winnipeg and Hamilton." [Source]

I haven't seen any concrete commitment from sponsors but there'll of course be some desire for shirt sponsors and general league sponsors. I know the joke/half-hope was that Keith's would be the Halifax club's shirt sponsor, but I don't know how much validity there was in that and was most likely tongue-in-cheek. I imagine the sponsors, presumably like the league itself, will be more regional in nature instead of vast national brands. Remains to be seen.
I wonder where a Fraser Valley team would play. Only kind-of sizable venue I can think of there is Rotary Park in Abbotsford, but it might only seat like 1,000-2,000 people. My natural assumption would have been to get a team playing out of Swangard again.