View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 4:24 AM

Charlotte, NC: In The Shadow Of Papi Queso

I was debating with myself whether or not I should make this thread since it's very limited, but I decided it'd be more of a waste to just sit on them so enjoy the small photo dump of my trip to Charlotte last month.

This is the part where I ramble on and on about my experience so feel free to skip this part:

I was only there for business for two days but I was lucky enough to get some time in downtown when the crew got hungry and wanted to find a decent restaurant to chow down at. Unfortunately, my leisure time was cut short when it started to rain pretty hard before I could really do any exploring so back to the hotel it was (luckily my camera wasn't damaged even though it did get drenched as I dashed back to my transportation.)

One thing that really surprised me while I was walking around was the serious amount of homeless people and panhandlers on Charlotte's main street downtown that were not only pandhandling, but also allowed to lay fully out on the benches and sidewalks. All day and night. I don't know if that just so happened to be the case while I was there or if that's the norm, but it was strange nonetheless since there was valet serviced restaurants, shopping centers, etc. right in the vicinity instead of a few blocks away. I would think that having a schizophrenic hold a full blown conversation with an invisible person next to a panhandler right outside of your place of business would be considered a huge deterrent in attracting new customers, but everyone seemed to completely ignore them as if they weren't there.

I was also surprised at how many people approached me and asked me to take their picture and seemed really enthusiastic about having what they thought was a "semi-professional photographer" take their picture. Even though my walk was very short (definitely less than an hour) I was able to make a quick 50 bucks and had a few people trying to figure out how I could come to their event only to find out that I live no where near North Carolina . That was a definite first and, more than likely, a last. Needless to say, it was a fun experience that left a good impression for me. Charlotte seems to be full of friendly people, great food, and interesting subjects!

47. And that'll do it. Goodbye, Charlotte.

48. As I exit the city....

50. ....To make that long trip back to the middle of the west