View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Terrific Toronto collection, Monks. Toronto has this supercharged funkiness while at the same time lacking the stateliness of other cities (Montreal, New York, London etc). Growing up, I didn't understand the disconnect between the majestic street scenes I saw in movies and the comparatively paltry offerings I saw on trips to the metropolis down the road. Where the word "Kensington" is normally associated with snooty grandeur and wealth, in Toronto it is assigned to a hard-scrabble immigrant market turned hipster haven, for instance.

It's really, really odd how Toronto gets maligned as "bland and business-like" when it's always been the most eccentric and whimsical-looking place in the country by far. And outside of Bay Street it's always felt that way, too. Which is not to suggest that Montreal doesn't have this kind of thing, because it most certainly does, but there's a ramshackle chic unique to Toronto that you just don't find in other places.

I certainly understand how disappointing it can be that Toronto doesn't have a "real" Kensington (i.e. nothing like this in TO), but you make do with the bones you were born with, I guess. I can't imagine what the city would be like without it's own Kensington or similar neighbourhoods.

I always thought that " funky" was the absolute best word to describe Toronto. On that front, the city has no rival anywhere in the country, and even on the continent. It comes with a great vibe.