View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The open land separating Mississauga, Oakville, and Milton is all greenbelt, yes? I think Toronto would've been better off having more sprawly suburbs with homes on bigger lots and more trees/green space similar to Chicago or Detroit. I find the new sprawl in places like Brampton and Vaughn really cringeworthy... and that's coming from a SoCal guy.
The lack of trees is partly due to the subdivisions being relatively new and having been built on farmland that had no trees. I do think there is a bit too much land dedicated to asphalt though, there's no need to have both ample off-street and on-street parking.

Despite that you do have some neighbourhoods making an effort with street trees.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.57516...7i16384!8i8192

Ash borer disease has definitely taken a toll on street trees though.

Regarding Milton specifically, I think the reason that land is undeveloped mostly has to do with water infrastructure. Milton's population was basically capped in the 80s and 90s when the municipal water supply was from ground water, but then they built a big pipe to connect to the Lake Ontario water supply which is why the growth exploded in the last 15-20 years.

Maybe for some reason I guess Mississauga wouldn't let them connect to their water supply and buy water from them to build subdivisions along the Mississauga border? idk...

Anyways, now that Milton is booming most of that land between Milton, Mississauga and Oakville will be getting filled up.