View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 9:12 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Ok, I'm going to try to run down everything that is going on, on campus. There is A LOT. Definitely the most that I've seen happening in the entire 4.5 years that I've been here.

1) Energy/Steam Plant construction: on Hackberrry Ln, between Gordon Palmer and the Druid City Nursing house. This project is creating numerous other construction projects around campus as university construction crews work to lay and tunnel new piping and energy lines to various buildings.

2) Science and Engineering Phase III: Almost finished. New sidewalk has been built between The Ferg and Shelby, and the road between Phase III and Hackberry is beginning to be torn up.

3) Frat House: At the corner of University and 2nd (?): I can't remember the name of that street, anyways, construction has started on a new frat house. The new ATO house has been completed.

4) New lamp posts: Along University Blvd. at The Quad. New lamp posts with lights on the street side and sidewalk side. New sod too.

5) New lamp/cameras: On The Quad. New cameras have been placed throughout The Quad in preparation for this coming football season.

6) New Sorority Houses: Behind the President's Mansion. I think it's three houses. Either way, they're progresses nicely.

7) First phase of residential/rec/dining: The first phase includes the residential hall that is pretty much a twin of Ridgecrest South. About 900 beds, about 7 floors, might be 8. But, it's pretty much topped out, but the second half of it is about 2/3 away from being topped out. Should be completed by the end of the spring.

8) Sidewalk widening: From Hackberry Ln to The Highlands.

9) Destruction of The Highlands: Underway. Two buildings have already come down.

10) BB Comer landscaping and lighting: Looks VERY good. Landscaping includes new grass and the building has been restored (the exterior). It's a good representative of what it used to look like.

11) NOAA Water Research Center: I haven't seen any progress yet, and I haven't seen where it is supposed to go, but I'll let you know when I do.

12) Hackberry repaving: Done. New bike lanes included.

13) Tennis Center: In progress. Main structure is complete (the exoskeleton).

That's about all I can think of right now. The new Partlow building is under construction, the University is managing that. Once that is complete, the university will take over the Bryce property.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State