View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I dunno about that. If the city is reviving, Logan Square is a natural. It sits right on the Blue Line connecting Chicagoland's two biggest economic centers, it is very walkable and has tons of great historic building stock and ample parkland. Easy access to the Kennedy makes it good for reverse commuters too, or DINKs where one partner works in the city and one in the N/NW burbs.

Hindsight is 20/20 but just looking at structural factors, Logan Square is prime for development.
In concur. LS has been in the works for over a decade. I looked at apts near California and Milw in 1998...ended up in Uptown. Several of my friends who were priced out of WP by 1995 or so also moved to the "west" bucktown / LS area in the 1998-02 time frame a few became purchasers in the area after that.
Nowhereman is younger he was probably 10-12 years old in the 1998-02 time frame. It is understandable that a person who is not from here, did not grow up here and witness neighborhood transformation over decades that such a transformation would appear to be unthinkable merely 10 years ago. 10 years ago was 2002; I dated an actress / artist girl in LS who had many artist / hipster type friends in LS back in 2000 or so. The area then was very hipster / artist.....ie still affordable...not faux hipster like WP has been since the mid- late 90's. LS to me is roughly where WP was in about '95 maybe slightly earlier. LS developing at least in my mind was easily predictable, and the signs were present at least by the late 90's if not the early 2000's, no hindsight needed. It was edgy then; and still can be; but then so was WP in early- mid 90's by '98 -2000 WP had pretty much been emasculated.