View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
That sort of analysis is trickier than it looks. You could say the very same things about Lawndale, for instance.
Well this will probably get me in trouble but for historical reasons it seems areas that are not predominately underclass entrenched indigent black have a much easier time gentrifying.

Be it simple racism, or the fact that the housing stock and built form in many indigent black neighborhood has either been destroyed by riots (lawndale) or simple neglect; areas in / near very poor black neighborhoods do not seem to gentrify unless the poor black pop is forced to move....Cabrini / Robert taylor (though gentrification stalled or outright halted by economic calamity of 07-09)

I do not have the data but I believe it is the case that in the poor hispanic community ownership runs higher than in the poor black population...which in turn may make it easier for an area that is non-black to gentrify since the owners may sell; whereas in the poor black area a landlord may be getting a rent subsidy and the impetus to sell is not as big a motivator.

This is a complex topic and there are almost certainly many factors the above is just my anecdotal observations.