View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 6:09 PM

It seems like Julius Shulman just couldn't keep away from Vermont Avenue. Here we have the Bank of America on the corner of Manchester Avenue. The photoset is "Job 1091: Bank of America (Los Angeles, Calif.),1951". Above the bank were the offices of Gregory M Creutz, attorney at law.

Here are the stores to the south of the bank. They include a Thrifty Yardage Center, 3 Pal's Gifts and a Thrifty Baby Store.

This shot looks straight down the streetcar right-of-way.

I thought the picture above deserved a couple of close-ups. The first shows Berland's Shoes on the corner opposite the bank. The store on the left is Grayson's. Fab Fifties Fan wrote about the Grayson's at Inglewood in post #4951.

On the right, there's a drug store on the north corner of Manchester Avenue, with a California Bank on the south side. In the distance is the Balboa Theatre at 8713 S Vermont Avenue.

All from Getty Research Institute

I actually mouthed the word "wow" when I saw the first picture of this bank, so you can imagine my disappointment when I found it was gone. In fact, pretty much everything on the east side of the street has gone. The only survivors I found are the cafe next to the bank on Manchester Avenue (it's now a heavily-shuttered mission center), and the stripey Thrifty Baby Store (which now resembles a bunker). The west side of the street is a different story. The drug store on the corner has even retained its blade sign.

GSV

I'm not a fan of the blue awnings, but at least the California Bank building survives as a Salvation Army Thrift Store.

GSV

According to William Gabel at cinematreasures.org:
The Balboa Theatre opened in April 6, 1926 and was operated by Fox West Coast Theatres. After closing it housed a mosque belonging to the Nation of Islam, but they moved out of the building in 2009. By 2015 the building had been converted into production studios.
It now seems to be called Pan Andreas West.

GSV