View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 6:58 PM

LARY/LATL Tower Car 9350

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwy_central_bldg View Post
I love this photo too! I did a little searching in the city directories and found the "Your Room" at 3114 S Vermont, as well as Dr Felcher (the dentist) at 3124 S Vermont. So I think this must be the spot.

Unfortunately the entire block is now occupied by the Jessie L Terry housing project. I don't even want to post a GSV screencap because it's kind of sad; nothing remains.

What I can't figure out is where those streetcar tracks are curving off to-- presently that little street off of Vermont south of 31st is a dead-end. Maybe one of our RR enthusiasts can tell us if this used to be a rail service yard? Could explain the service-looking vehicle...

EDIT: Maybe this is taken from the corner of Vermont and Jefferson (a little south of the addresses) and those tracks are turning on to Jefferson?)
As HossC noted above, this is Tower Car 9350. She was built in 1907 for LARY and worked through the LATL and LAMTA eras. At the conclusion of rail service in LA in 1963 she was donated along with several other pieces work equipment to the Orange Empire Railway Museum at Perris, CA, where she continues to perform overhead wire maintenance today.

Cheers,
Jack