View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Zillow offers this info FWIW:

"Great family home built in Hollywood in 1910 and moved to its present location in 1920. This 5/2 Craftsman in Echo Park/Hi-Fi area retains many original features and is just awaiting your restoration imagination. During the Jazz Age, it is said that Count Basie, Josephine Baker and other [luminaries] in the arts movement were regular guests of the original owners.[/B] Although the walls cannot talk, they do boast incredible wainscotting with high plate rails, beautiful leaded glass built-ins in the formal dining room and library, immense stone gas fireplace, as well as window seats and built in bureaus in the bedroom closets. Additional original features include stairwell ball finial, original wood floors, coffered ceilings and pocket doors, some light fixtures and heating registers. Plumbing and electrical are all updated and in good working condition. Nice sized kitchen and master bath are ready for you to re-design to your liking. Large basement bonus room perfect for art or music studio offers plenty of additional storage. Rapidly developing neighborhood with great investment potential. Walk to Echo Park, Lassens, shops and restaurants. High on a hill, this house has wonderful views of Los Angeles and Hollywood, breathtaking sunset views from the spacious front porch and 2nd story balconies! Lofty attic can be finished into a third floor living space."

One of the few times I've heard of a house moving east, but the owner lived across the street, then at No. 203, so I'm sure he had his reasons.

Last sold in 2002 for $275K per Redfin.

New foundations were put in in 1925, so that's more likely the move year.

Interior pix at the link

Thanks for digging a little deeper. I saw the 1925-new construction permit and the owner's listing across the street. Presumably, he wanted to take advantage of the elevation for an even better view. Wondered how the home was moved to its present "higher" location without an elaborate scheme of piers and a substantial crane or cranes. Or, whether the structure was moved in pieces via the rear access.

Was it said "During the Jazz Age" that luminaries visited the home? If I remember correctly, the JA was predominantly in the '20s, so maybe a Piano was carried up the front steps. But more importantly, what (allegedly) drew these Jazz-Age icons to this location? Wainscotting? Or, what is the basis for this statement? (It can also be said that George Washington slept there too, to escape the cold in Valley Forge and for the fishing.)

I don't think Josephine Baker had much of an association with LA, as was the case with Paris and NY. Per my limited knowledge, JB spent the second half of the '20s in Europe and did not return to the US (NY) until 1936, post Jazz Age. In 1974, JB performed in Los Angeles as part of a US tour. She promoted the tour with appearances on the Tonight Show and Merv Griffin's Show, some of which were probably taped in LA. Curiously, there are several 1951-images of JB outside of a prosecutor's office. The captions mention "assault" and there is a suggestion that an assailant received a 45 year sentence, but particulars are unknown. I seem to recall Basie's name on the Ambassador's marquee and of course, he made the rounds at the Palladium and other LA Venues.

http://www.parsec-santa.com/celebrit...rJosephine.jpg

1944 at an "unknown" LA nightclub. Actor Rex Ingram and Count Basie standing.
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics11/00025239.jpg

The '46 San Pedro CD has a listing for Thomas Thurman (and Ernestine)(542 Sepulveda). There are later listings too, for other locations. Unknown whether this is the same or different home mover/ potential Jazz Age bon vivant.

Last edited by BifRayRock; May 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM.