View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I don't think downtown (or urban core) development in KC is lagging behind St Louis in the slightest. Seems like a lot of things are going on right now in both places. And as far as downtowns go, KC generally seems more developed than downtown St Louis in terms of its neighborhood potential and activity level.
See my above post. I meant that new (1990's - 2010's) residential high rise development in general in KC far lags that of STL.

In STL:

1- the (formerly) Roberts Tower (25 floors) just opened downtown
2- the Central West End saw the opening of the Park East Tower (26 floors)
3- 4545 Lindell (12 floors)
4- downtown Clayton boomed in the 1990's/2000's with residential high rises like the Plaza (30 floors)
5- Clayton on the Park (23 floors)
6- Maryland Walk (17 floors)

7- And while not residential, STL also saw the opening of the Four Seasons (19 floors)
8- Ritz Carlton (18 floors)
9- AmeriStar (21 floors)

In the same time period (1990's - 2010's) all of metro KC (including the Plaza area where most residential high rises are located) add only:

1- 4646 Broadway (13 floors)
2- Kingwood Circle (13 floors).

**If I am missing any please correct me**

3- AmeriStar Hotel (12 floors)
4- Sheraton Overland Park (23 floors), were added in the 1990's - 2010's.

All data taken from Emporis.

STL completed 6 residential high rises with a combined height of 133 floors

KC completed 2 residential high rises with a combined height of 26 floors (not counting floor space or units here, just impact to the skyline)

Again, not to play the city vs. city game, but for one to say that STL has not completed more residential high rise projects than KC form 1990-current just isn't the case. Hence, my comment that KC lagged behind STL in new residential high rise construction, but now appears to be gaining traction which is great for KC.

And I totally agree with you that downtown KC seems more like a neighborhood I'd actually want to live in than downtown STL, especially since I like Cosentino's Market (Price Chopper) in KC better than Culinaria (Schnucks) in STL, and the fact that downtown KC doesn't seems as dark and downtrodden as STL has the tendency to do sometimes.

Last edited by guesswho; Apr 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM.