View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:56 PM
not a cynic

Broadway Chinden Connector; A Brief History, lots o pics

EDIT: November 7, 2019. Dang photobucket deleted all those pics. Gotta look thru old hard drives now hoping I still have those.

For something that is so important to today's Boise, I found it odd that there is virtually no online history of the Broadway Chinden Connector. I took it upon myself to do a little research and post some of what I found. I tip my hat to the library personnel of the past for collecting these clippings. Thanks to those folks, the library has a folder of clippings going back to the early 70s. It's available on the 3rd floor for viewing only. I took pics of some of the better ones.

The project was fully opened on August 7, 1992. Prior to that, some sections were opened in phases. Thanks to one picture, I was reminded of something I had totally forgotten. For a while, inbound traffic diverted onto what is now the outbound lanes and exited at 23rd Street. IIRC, after that phase, inbound traffic had to exit at River Street. And on 8/7/92 traffic was allowed to travel through to 13th Street and all the way to Broadway.

Maybe the local TV stations could do a special using their archival video for the upcoming 15th anniversary!

When I get more time, I'll quote some of the articles. Some of the stuff I read made me laugh and some made me cry. I hope this info is useful or interesting to somebody, anybody. I really didn't give it the effort it deserves, but, as I always say, the pay here at SSP isn't very good.

The whole pile of clippings.

A nimby brochure from Aug 76.

Backside of same brochure.

April 78, It's amazing, some of the things said then are the same we hear now about other projects.

Skybridge? I hadn't ever heard of that one. Spokane envy, I guess.

Front could be Centennial Boulevard and Myrtle could be Park Boulevard.

Here's what used to be on Main Street at 30th and the river at 5pm. I think the word Fairview is a misprint.

Last edited by boisecynic; Nov 7, 2019 at 8:34 PM.