View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2007, 3:03 AM
Bears of antiquity

I write letters to city council reps and the newspapers all the time about light rail, I hope they pay off to some extent, even if I didn't do a bit of good to urge it on.

Anyway, after weeks of doodling and poring over maps, this is MY proposal:
Line 1, 2012 start date, Deco Line (BRT): From the westside multimodal station up to fred road, to the med center. Stage 1 expansion to UTSA, stage 2 to La Cantera/Fiesta Texas. Stage 3 upgrade to LRT.

Fiesta Line (LRT): From downtown, up broadway, with concessions for the battle of flowers and flambeau parades (hence the name), including a turn around just north of the staging area, and an express bypass with temporary stations. Stage 1 expansion to the Quarry, Stage 2 down to Kelly USA.

Spurs Line (LRT): Crosstown train that runs downtown on commerce and market. Terminates at the SBC Center and SWRI. Stage 1 expansion to Sea World.

Skyline (LRT/Shuttle): Airport line from downtown with central station and shuttles at airport. Stage 1 expansion to Brooks AFB.

VIA Rapid (BRT): Loop 410 and Loop 1604 BRT lines.

I've said it before and I'll say it again-- as a grass roots campaign, we can definitely get ideas and plans made. As a group, I'm sure we know enough about design and implementation to come up with a good 15 year starter plan.