View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't mean to get off on a tangent with you here but high schools routinely drawing in that range are exceptionally rare. Probably no more than a few in a nation of 300 million+.

For whatever reason in Canada the popular myth is that every other American high school plays in something like this:

When in reality the average experience is more along the lines of this:

This is about the same as what half the CPL teams will be playing in – and those high schools in the US are probably selling out all 2,000+ seats. You also just picked a random photo. All through the south there are high schools with 5000+ seat stadiums. It's not that rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Was there actually a TNSE/Goldeyes stadium proposal for the local CPL team? I don't remember hearing about it. I wouldn't necessarily expect Katz to play that nicely with Chipman either, although I suppose money talks.

Soccer and baseball players are so finicky about their fields that it's hard to imagine them ever sharing a stadium. Although in some respects, the Goldeyes/AA folding could be the best thing to happen to soccer in Winnipeg as with a bit of renovation/expansion you'd basically have a top notch soccer stadium downtown ready to go.

As I understand it the CPL idea was originally hatched with the involvement of the CFL, so there was a natural connection between the new soccer team and the Bombers. Although I guess having the only pro-calibre soccer stadium in town probably helped in that regard too.
Yeah I can't imagine them working together either. I also can't imagine Katz willing to go through what would be required to put a soccer field in there (if it would even fit) and ruin the fan experience for the Goldeyes games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
The Goldeyes are about 1,000X better-run than the Bombers. Instead of listing why, just look at what each franchise has done on and off the field the last 25 years. Case closed. (what's so wonderful about "community ownership" again? Someone refresh me).

One of my biggest issues w/ the Bombers is they let Canad Inns Stadium completely fall apart. I'm worried they'll do the exact same thing w/ IGF. It's already a poorly-built facility (we could write a novel based on all its problems due to the rushed, cheap construction ordered by the Blue).

Like I said in an earlier post, I'm willing to maybe attend 1 of these soccer games in the next year but they're already off to a very poor start... we'll see what happens.
This is what happens when government is responsible for running private enterprise. A lot of the Bombers' issues in the last few decades has been due to an incompetent or overly hands-on board. Luckily this seems to have changed since the hiring of Wade Miller and the board is less active. Wade has done an outstanding job righting the sinking ship, I just don't understand how some people have bad things to say about him.