View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Those maps were pretty interesting. NYC and parts of Chicago, SF, DC, and Boston were expected.

But some of the red parts of LA, Miami, and Houston may not be as expected as most people think.

Well, it's pretty much a fact that we all have to consider. If multi-family units or apartments aren't largerly present in a growing metro that has reach it's geographic limits, the housing environment that exists will gain more people per square mile than it had before. Whole extended families will be forced to live under one house and singles will have to pay rent to live in a master bedroom with another family in the area or even consider the basement or garage. This type of stuff is common where I live now in Southern California.

I believe that many older or gridded suburbs, when they aren't growing geographically but still growing population wise, will reach a critical mass in which they will become more walkable and urban because of necessity. Traffic will get too bad and many people will realize the usefulness of mass transit to overcome that.
I think people on often forget just how new almost all of the united states is other than the eastern seabord the USA was basically a farming country of small towns or wilderness until less than 100 years ago. It takes time to develop the cities you see in Europe and Asia, these places have been around for thousands of years in most casses.