View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:48 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
Other cross-border regions can also include trans-border urban areas, Detroit-Windsor (ON/MI), Niagara Falls (ON/NY), Sault Ste. Marie (ON/MI), Sarnia-Port Huron (ON/MI) or other such smaller urban areas. These areas are bound to have cross-border interaction with higher degrees of integration than those formerly mentioned, but this interaction is more exclusive and less far reaching than the expansive boundaries of a watershed.

I'm not arguing that these areas have more in common with their American counterparts than they do with fellow Canadians, but in some instances that balance may be about equal.
For Niagara Falls, the answer is unequivocally, 100% no. The American and Canadian sides are as different as night and day, and there is virtually no interaction between them outside of American tourists wanting to come to the Canadian side for the better views (tourists to the Canadian side generally don't cross over to the American side).

Metro Buffalo is the only real draw in the area, not Niagara Falls, but Fort Erie, across the river, is tiny. I don't know how to quantify the numbers, but I'd guess that traffic originating in St. Catharines going to Toronto and environs outnumbers that crossing the border into Buffalo by twenty, thirty or forty times. Or more.