View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 10:43 AM

For those who don't know what the site looks like, let me show you....

Future site of the first phase, looking southwest from 11th and market:

Lost out lease! Everything on sale!

Looking towards 12th St, I believe the second floor is mostly vacant already.

East from 12th:

Here's what it used to look like back in the day:

image source

From what I read online, what's standing there now is the bottom two floors of the former Snellenburgs department store that was built here back in 1889. After they closed in 1963 the building was apparently cut down and given the current facade....

This is Ludlow Street (between Market and Chestnut) This street will be retained as part of the development (see renderings above)

looking west from 11th:

Looking east:

^The large building on the right is the old Snellenburgs mens store annex. Plans call for a whole new facade for this stretch.

^Front of the building which later housed Community College Of Philadelphia's first campus, and currently contains facilities for the Family Court (which is set to move here and the Municipal Court (where that's going I have no idea)

I'm hoping the front will be preserved at least, can't tell from the renderings posted....

Snellenburgs was considered innovative back in 1939, when they opened a parking garage for their customers on the south side of the block facing Chestnut Street, this is the access from 11th St:

We'll go inside in a minute, but first I want to show the Chestnut Street side of the block, which is considered the "last Phase" of the redevelopment....

The Snellenburg Garage takes up the entire block front facing Chestnut presenting a late Art Deco/Streamlined Moderne facade. From the beginning, there were retail shops on the bottom floors and parking above. Not really anything special to write home about, and I wouldn't really miss it if it is gone, but OTOH, this would be a great case for a "Facadectomy" reconstruction (keeping the front and building a new structure behind) especially of big box stores are involved. In any case I at least hope some of the metalwork is preserved one way or another....

Now for inside the garage, which I don't think *anyone* would miss haha....

Ranstead Street (another through block street looking east) serves as the access to the garage, mens' store is at the left:

One of two weird "subway style" entrances that I assume just lead to the basement:

Let's head up shall we?

These elevators have got to be the *tiniest* I've ever been on, so small I couldn't get a good shot inside LOL....

From the roof....

^Society Hill Furniture building being converted into residential

^Site of 1118 Chestnut, home to some abandoned buildings which are being redeveloped as a separate project by another company. The two buildings in the middle will be demolished and replaced by a seven story structure, while the one on the right will be preserved. Eighty apartments and 70,00 SF of retail space will be created

^Stephan Girard building (Built 1891) at the left. This well be preserved as part of the project and refurbished....

In the parking levels....

Base of Stephan Girard....

^I believe this alleyway is set to not only be preserved but run through the block to market, directly opposite the Reading Terminal building (in the background). Just imagine the dumpsters gone, a new facade on the right and a vista opened up framed by new towers at either end....etc....etc....

....okay

Back down on Ranstead Street with the butt end of the garage looking east from 11th:

Finally, some parting shots of the Stephan Girard building, whose street level features are remarkably well preserved. (A lot of buildings in Philadelphia had their street fronts "modernized in the 1950's/60's) Expecting great things to come of this....

Definitely looking forward to how the site progresses in the next couple of years. This WILL be a dramatic improvement to the area and a major shot in the arm for Market East's revitalization