View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:58 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It seems to me that a large part of the U.S. and its population probably doesn't have much of a "border consciousness" at all. Obviously it exists in places right along the border (though sometimes even Americans living in close border areas can be astonishingly oblivious to Canada), but in my experience and my corner of the continent, border consciousness on the U.S. is reasonably high in places like Watertown, NY, Plattsburgh, NY, Burlington, VT, etc.

It's not super-high but somewhat on the radar in places a bit further away like Rochester, Syracuse and Albany.
Very true based on my experience in living in both Plattsburgh and Utica. Canada still looms large over Utica because it's relatively close and we still watched Hockey Nigh in Canada but far enough that many people don't visit that often..Toronto was a good 8 hour drive from CNY and not many Canadians visit that part of NY apart from pee breaks on the Thruway. In Plattsburgh, we were an hour from Montreal and people on both sides went back and forth all the time.