View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:32 AM

This might be a bit far-fetched but I always thought it was a pity how MUN had such a lousy campus that wasn't walkable or student-friendly. The thing is that the potential is enormous - it's already fairly dense, near nice bodies of water and adjacent to Pippy Park! We could really make this campus more attractive for prospective and current students. The problem is Prince Phillip Drive - a major thoroughfare but also a huge death trap for pedestrians.

I propose this:

-taken from BING- Brussels

It's basically an underpass that is found everywhere in Brussels and most European Cities. They are great because they recuperate the surface level for transit and pedestrian activity and soft transport while putting the cars underground. This could be integrated along Prince Phillip Drive as you approach the campus, liberating the surface level for students to have a more cohesive, continuous campus-scape, which I believe is critically important.

It's also not atrociously expensive as it's just cut and cover. The benefits are clear too - it opens the area up for more dense development, it makes a safer crossing for students and alternative transport methods, it's more aesthetically sensitive and it allows the province's only University to actually have an identifiable character and 'place'. This could potentially lead to more dense and commercial activity for the campus.