View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:46 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Do I agree that a minimum amount of Canadian gdp should be funneled towards Defense? Yes.

However, the problem at hand here is how that money will be invested and how damn secretive and seemingly incompetent the governement has been on this specific procurement process. From its inception, the F-35 program has been plagued with problems and contrarily to what's been trumpeted, there has never been any guaranties about its benefits for the Canadian aeronautic industry. The Canadian governement was sold a dream by Lockheed Martin and despite all the warning signs about the shortcomings of this aircraft, it systemingly refused to reassess its decision.

Should the Canadian forces have the best tools available to not only effectively protect its own airspace but also meet its obligations in NATO. Absolutely... reason why we shouldn't buy this plane. As I have studied this plane extensively, I could list some of its deficiencies but instead, I will quote a great article published in Foreign Policy (great publication) by Winslow Wheeler, who previously worked for 31 years on national security issues for Republican and Democratic senators on Capitol Hill and for the Government Accountability Office.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...tagon?page=0,1

We need new planes but like any reasonable consumer, we should assess our needs and above all, we should weight the different options against one another!!
Agreed. Also, great article.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.