View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.I.L. View Post
Update on the New Science Building at MUN
Construction on a new $250-million science building at Memorial University in St. John's is not expected to start until next Spring. The funds were announced in last year's budget. MUN President Dr. Gary Kachanoski says two sites are under consideration, on either side of the University Centre along Prince Philip Drive. Kachanoski was the guest speaker at this week's meeting of the Rotary Club of St. John's. Kachanoski says he expects the tender for architectural drawings to go out this Spring.

He says with laboratory buildings there's the issue of lab fume hoods which take up space on other floors, so sometmes he says it's more efficient to spread the building out over a larger footprint. Kachanoski says whether that means separate locations or one larger building, that decision hasn't been made. He says the decision will be made very soon based on fiscal considerations.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...30739&latest=1

looks like a delay in the new science building
This was mentioned on NTV news last night as well. From what I saw, it looks like they are definately going with the 2 building option which I believe was previously announced. $250M is a lot of cash for 2 buildings. Hopefully they will build something to be proud of. The battery purchase was also touched on. Said that they wanted to put their community outreach center there. Not sure what that is. Anyone know? Also said that the purchase hasn't been completed yet. Guess they are still doing their inspections. Maybe if we are lucky they will find that there are too many problems to fix and the purchase will fall through leaving the hotel to be demolished and the site to go on the market again. Looks like there is an article on the speech in the hard copy & full e-version of The Telegram today, neither of which I have access to.