View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I smile when I read these old menus. I suspect a lot of young people do not realize it but a ''Peanut butter and Jelly" sandwich was a common menu item in the 1940s.

Also, eating in your car at a ''Drive-In" was novel back in the day. There are still a few around in 2014 but they're very rare.

I guess the ''Drive-Thru'' has taken over. My research seems to indicate that people would rather get their meals at the window and be on their way.

In the photo below we see some way cool Anchor Hocking barrel tumbler water glasses. I see them as a symbol of the noir era.

http://img0.foodservicewarehouse.com...king_5054U.jpg

LAPL
I think that Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches as a menu item anywhere had pretty much gone bye-bye by 1960, making anyone that remembers them being on the menu pretty much on their way to being an Old Geezer. LOL

Loved those old Anchor Hocking barrel tumbler water glasses that were used by restaurants everywhere. However today if they were still used in curb service people would be taking them home instead of leaving them on the tray. They even went bye-bye in sit down restaurants by the mid 1960s. Last one's I recall seeing was in the student center snack bar at TCU around 1963.

There are still quite a number of dine in your car drive-in restaurants around. One good example is the SONIC chain. They seem to do a great job of competing with the likes of McDonald's, Burger King, and Jack in the Box. Then there are still quite a number of throw backs to the 1950s around in small towns around the country, when going to the drive-in burger joint was a social event for many teenagers. This one is an example and was Elvis Presley's favorite place when he was stationed at Ft. Hood Texas. Their web site is more or less horrible but take the time to watch the video, it's interesting. Then check out the individual locations. http://www.stormsrestaurants.com/#!

Last edited by Retired_in_Texas; Mar 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM.