View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 8:26 PM

Arrow bad example on my part . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
From what I know, all bridges so far built since the Alex Fraser (except Golden Ears and there is no need for that) has had provisions for LRT.

Planners have realized this and has planned it now. Why do we see city centres along SkyTrain stns? Why is Brentwood so much larger than it was before? Why is Metrotown still growing? Why will Oakridge become Vancouver's next municpal centre? Why are there so many developments in Richmond Centre around Richmond-Brighouse Stn? Why is Capstan a future stn?

I really hope big box stores aren't around stns because that defeats the purpose of transit, unless they are built like the ones on Cambie.
When I said that a store like Home Depot or IKEA would first appear, I wasn't referring specifically to big ugly "box stores." I don't like them any more than you do.

What I SHOULD have said was that some kind of commercial development will appear, because it is easy for people to get to by transit, and from there, a town centre of some sort will germinate.

It could be a very attractive thing visually. It could be just about anything (and if there are aesthetic bylaws in place, this will discipline the look of what goes there first).

What I meant in a nutshell was: where the train stations go, development will follow. It's a kind of proactive planning, if you get my drift.