View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne
Does anyone else see the tranformation from about London going west? Sort of like Ohio towards Michigan?
This is very true...the Windsor-Chatham-Sarnia area is quite different than the London-Stratford-Kitchener area (although both areas fall within the southwestern Ontario region). Basically everything that flar said is true but I don't see how that makes the area unattractive, it makes the area unique as it's part of one country but the dominance from another country is very evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosseau
I've only been through a couple of times, and my biggest impressions were that the terrain is flatter than Holland, and that the streets in Windsor conform so much to the grid that there are virtually no curved stretches or idiosyncracies in the layout.
The terrain is really flat but that helps make it the richest agricultural land in Canada, they grow crops there that can't be grown anywhere else. In southern Essex County, there are rows of hundreds enormous greenhouses that you can't see from the 401.

Windsor's obsession with its grid contributes to its midwestern feel since many midwest cities ars set up the same way. Even the large new subdivisions being built in the city conform to the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighter Hell
Why didn't MTO build a 401 interchange at Charing Cross Rd? You'd think the most direct route to downtown would be the first to get an interchange.
This is because the provincial govt has a history of ignoring the region (as any true resident of the area will tell you). It's what contributes to our hatred of Toronto.