View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I know foot passenger service from Vancouver Island right into Downtown Vancouver has been tried before and failed. I'm not sure how fast the boats were back then, but todays ferries can travel at 83 km/h, which would get you from Nanaimo to D/T Vancouver in around 45 minutes and from Victoria to D/T Vancouver in around 1 hour and 15 minutes. A B.C. ferry takes 1 hour 35 minutes to get from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay plus another hour or so to load/unload and drive to D/T Vancouver, for a total of 2 hours and 35 minutes. A time savings of close to 2 hours. Probably a similar time savings for the Victoria route as well. Maybe it's time to give it another shot.
I don't think there's enough traffic, despite the time savings, to make a passenger ferry route worthwhile. The Island has its own enclosed ecosystem, its own economy. Most businesses that I deal with that do work on the Island have a separate branch office on the Island that does work almost exclusively on the Island. Without a more permanent connection (i.e. bridge) I think that will continue to be the case.