View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
By "wasteful" I mean, sure, cutting butter with a chainsaw is faster than with a butterknife, but you might wreck the counter top. It's great that I can maintain 200kph while switching freeways on a flyover, but if it means dooming the surrounding urban area into unconnected regions that can neither be crossed by foot nor effectively serviced by transit, forcing more people into cars, thus generating the traffic queue that I'm stuck at on the first arterial off-ramp, then it's of little value.

Give me the 1st scenario over the 2nd, any day.

The first example is a weird form of diamond interchange where cars have to move over to the left lane in order to exit the freeway. Pretty inefficient if you ask me and borderline dangerous. In a city with Toronto's volumes that would be a huge bottleneck. Not to mention that diamomd interchanges are limited by how many cars they can move. In Edmonton where traffic volumes are lower diamond interchanges work fine, for the most part. But in Toronto, where traffic volumes are quadruple that of Edmonton's, parclos are a necessity unless you want to spend even longer trying to get home at night.