View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It shouldn't be underestimated how much of an icon this thing will be at 600 ft. There are times when size matters, and even if this doesn't remain the largest (it likely won't), it's of such size that it can't be ignored. It will be a visual anchor for that end of the harbor like the Manhattan skyline is for the other end, joining the Verrazanno Narrows as a symbol of Staten Island. It will be on postcards, in movies, videos, it will create it's own tourists base, in addition to the ferry's own tourists base. It will be something entirely new for New York, where its hard to create something entirely new. Let them build it, and watch the people come.
-
I think you may have misunderstood my original "complaints" about the wheel. I think it will be good for Staten Island, regardless. I'm just not convinced the investors will turn a profit, and I'm concerned that it may often be under-utilized and that would make me kind of sad. Like I said, I have no crystal ball, but comparing this to other observation wheels and their locations within their cities, the Staten Island proposal would be more off-center than it's predecessors. The Central Banks of the River Thames receive a larger percentage of it's cities visitors. Even Marina Bay in Singapore gets more traffic than Staten Island relative to the size of it's city, and I've looked for evidence that the investors of the Singapore Flyer have turned a profit and I have found nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I read somewhere that the complete trip on the NY Wheel would be an hour or so. I'm not sure about that, but here's a comparison of some other wheels...

http://www.luxurylaunches.com/travel..._in_moscow.php

-
Nice diagram. The design for Moscow is incredible. It reminds me of the space ship from Contact.