View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 10:23 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Thanks, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. I really like the one where you said the sun came out and warmed again. Are there three separate lighthouses in that one picture? How many lighthouses are there near that harbor entrance?

I was going to ask where all of the snow was. Shouldn't there be a lot more up there? Where are the piles of snow? My question was answered somewhat when the passing storm dumped snow in your pictures, but I would've thought that there would be plenty of piles of snow still around. Does the Gulf Stream warm things up? What are temperatures like right now?
There are three lighthouses, yes.

In the distance is Cape Spear, the most easterly point in North America. It has two lighthouses. The tall, slender one on in the middle is the new, functioning one. The stout building to the right is the old one, now a museum. The shorter buildings to the far left house the fog horn.

In the foreground is Fort Amherst, which guards the very narrow entrance to St. John's Harbour. It's now a private residence but is open to the public.

Here's the best I've ever captured it - I have pictures from this morning as well, but in the video you can hear the fog horn:

Video Link

We do get a lot of snow, but our winter temperatures are mild by Canadian standards and we rarely stay below freezing long enough for snow to accumulate:

So you can end up with us getting 300 inches of snow and having nothing to show for it, while other cities can get 100 inches and be white for half the year. You just have to remember this doesn't mean we have nice, sunny winter weather. Winter and spring here are very grey, with lots of precipitation. Think of it as Seattle but colder, enough that the temperature hugs the freezing mark and makes messy, wet snow just as likely as rain.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM.