View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 12:40 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
For me, it took moving to Kingston (current unemployment rate of 6.0%, tied for the lowest in Ontario) to find permanent stable employment. I got hired right out of college when I still lived in London, and due to corporate restructuring I was without a job after less than three months - not even long enough for EI. I got screwed over there, found out I was without a job through Facebook. I worked abroad for awhile but upon returning to Canada, I applied to jobs across Ontario and some other parts of Canada - some job postings, a lot of cold-calling. The only interview I got in London was a sales position at a car dealership. The good, professional-level jobs I got interviews for were all in Eastern Ontario.

I likely could've gotten a job in Toronto had I tried, but working my way down the alphabetical list of cities, I didn't get to 'T' before I got a job offer that I liked.
Good for you Manny. That work ethic will stay with you and lead you to a bright future. I also was without work after uni back in the early 90s (terrible times in my hometown of Montreal), and I headed out West to find my fortune...well, I never found it, but beat the streets looking for work, doing shitty part time jobs as a night watchman (in shitpicker Winfield, north of Kelowna) and "sandwich artist" (West Broadway in Van) at Subways (working until 3am) to make ends meet while I interviewed and interviewed and interviewed some more. 3 months with Enterprise-Rent-a-Car (not for me), then retail management for 4 years in Vancouver. Studied for GMAT and wrote test, collected references, and went for broke to get into grad school. that was in the late nineties.